Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shirky, Part II

"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... and gets posted on Facebook." These were the first wise words spoken to me as I walked along the Las Vegas strip. This phrase not only came from a resident who took a picture of my group in front of the famous Bellagio hotel fountain, but was also shared by a different stranger later that day. Naturally, my Spring Break comrades laughed it off and we continued our stroll in the warm sun. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't shake the reoccurring comments and I began to analyze every picture I appeared in based on whether or not my grandma or mother would approve of it.

Of course the only reason anyone of a younger generation censors Facebook pictures is either due to being friends with a family member or, more importantly, to ensure that upon seeking a job, inappropriate personal profile pictures or comments won't arise and jeopardize potential employment. It makes sense why employers observe online profiles during the application review and hiring process. Businesses want an employee who is professional inside and outside work because they represent that business at all times. Even though I prefer to have a private profile and separate my social life from my working life, the content that arises is still public regardless of my intentions. Similarly, Shirky mentions, "Now that the cost of posting things in a global medium has collapsed, much of what gets posted on any given day is in public but not for the public."

Obviously Shirky expands on the power and ease of reaching out to viewers other than immediate friends and family. Publishing on social networking sites meets both communicating and broadcasting content, which then collects attention and promotes further conversation. "As mobile phones and the Internet both spread and merge, we now have a platform that creates both expressive power and audience size." This ability is powerful and shows that any individual can make a positive impact on a large scale through the ease of online collaboration and awareness. However, this point also ties hand in hand with the Spring Break article because the power of convergence paired with a lack of privacy has started to become an alarming concept. Many are starting to realize that their personal reputation is built upon profile content, which can then influence future opportunities, relationships and potential experiences.

I've actually witnessed Facebook profile evaluations and even participated in a couple. Even if the profile is private, the profile picture that does show can say a lot about the applicant and even decide whether they get an interview or not. The other day, my mom actually sent me an article discussing businesses that ask for a username and password to log onto the applicant's Facebook profile during the interview process. While I disapprove of this method, it is obvious that my examples and personal experiences confirm the Times article entirely.

Overall, social media has shown me that if I want a respectable job, I should appear professional and appropriate for all events, both online and offline. I believe this precautionary approach is a good thing because as I get closer to starting a career, I don't want a Facebook profile to hinder me from acquiring my dream job. If anything, I want potential employers to judge me on aspects like my personality, my portfolio and my interview answers rather than a photo in Vegas that was taken over Spring Break. So while this decision may be an "inconvenience" at social gatherings or other informal events, it has taught me to be much more aware of my actions and that is a trait I'm happy to have acquired earlier rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment